I can’t say I’ve really put any effort into the Datsun on a weeknight in probably the past 20-22 months, tonight I spent a couple of hours in the garage working on a few things to get the motor ready to attempt to start it this weekend. I didn’t get a lot done, but the things I did will save the time I would have had to spend on Saturday doing them. I’ve mostly got the fan in place now, with 4 more bolts to put it onto the clutch. I put the single belt in place, and also hooked up the EDIS trigger on the 36-1 wheel for the megasquirt setup.

I also put the throttlebody and the intake to the turbo back on the car. I put the battery onto the charger so that it’ll be ready to go Saturday. The more I mess with that thing the more I realize I need to get that moved to the back of the car soon after the car runs again, rather than having it sitting up in the engine bay taking up valuable room.

I’ll probably do a few more of these minor buttoning up items tomorrow and Thursday night, leaving for tasks like the radiator and coolant, along with other minor things, for Saturday when Dave and possibly Terec are over to assist.

A HUGE thanks to Terec for coming over today and helping me with the car. We spent a couple hours this morning and were able to get the engine and transmission into the car, it all worked out pretty well with the only hitch being that all the transmission fluid I put in, came back out :D

After that we hooked up the drive shaft, clutch line, and the speedo cable (which last time the car ran didn’t work anyways). We took a break to go get a rental car for my trip to Indianapolis in the morning. After returning home I drained the fuel cell of the gas that unfortunately has been in there since August 2007 when the car last ran. I barely had enough gas cans to drain it fully, though I did have to put some of the cans into the rental car… I figured out how to safely burn off old fuel though :D

Here are some pictures

Engine installed! Engine installed! Read Engine mount Urethant Steering Coupler

and of course the video!

So I had hoped to get the engine installed into the car today but got sidetracked trying to get a final few items finished up before doing so.

First things first I wanted to try and get some of the new bushings I purchased off Ebay back in December into the car, so I attempted to get the old bushings out of the rear motor mount, not having much luck I went to Carquest. They also didn’t have any luck but sent me on to Terry’s Machine Shop in Bridgeton. 25 minutes or so later (which was 20 minutes after they closed) the old bushings were free and room for the new urethane bushings available. I then ran back to Carquest and picked up some lithium grease and headed home.

I painted the rear motor mount one last time, as playing around with the bushings had removed some paint, and then I started on other items. I changed the bushing in the steering coupler to use the new urethane bushing, I also spent some time cleaning up some of the dust, and crap in the engine back from 2yrs ago when the car last ran. After doing this I drained the transmission and checked to see if I had any fluid to put back in it before installing it in the car tomorrow, I didn’t so I picked some up tonight.

I assembled the new bushings in the rear mount and then test fitted it under the car to make sure it would work, success, so hopefully it goes in smoothly tomorrow.

So I didn’t get a whole lot of progress made today, but I hope to tomorrow as Terec will be coming over in the morning and helping me with the big task, getting the motor up and into the car, 6 bolts should be all it takes! Then it’ll probably take me all week to hook up all the wires and lines to it, hopefully I’ll be able to try and crank it over next week.

Here’s the video from today, not much

So I had "lost" some bolts for the intake, I found them last week. Today I think I figured out I hadn't lost them, I just didn't realize they were in a bag they were in. Today I spent a little while in the garage getting ready to reassemble the intake and exhaust manifolds on the motor. This video is of that brief work. I'm headed to Orlando Thur/Fri this week, I'll be back late on Friday and hope to spend Saturday and Sunday next weekend putting the motor back together, with the goal of putting the motor in the car the following weekend.
So it has been a while since I've posted any P240Z videos, too long in fact. Well here are two, one that i failed to post back in March, and one that I just made today!
Checkout the video (with a few new dancing moves for entertainment) of the assembly of the new toolbox to try to help me get the garage organized!

I took the car to it's first autocross competition and only made it 3/4 of the first run before the motor seized up. This video is of me starting to tear into the motor to find the cause.

I took the car to the St. Louis SCCA Autocross today and worked on it on the trailer for a while with the intention of driving it around the parking lot for the first drive. Success

It might not idle yet, but the motor runs! This video was taken with my cell phone, sorry for the lack of quality.

Here's some video of me trying to start the car tonight. Today was a day of great progress! It was also hot and probably 99% humidity as you will see by my soaked shirt.

Notice at the end that one of the vacuum caps on the tube between the turbo and the throttle body pops off, it landed in my lap.

I spent the night of the 25th of July 2007 tracking down a few leaks. I was concerned about a coolant leak, and a fuel leak, I found them both.

Russ and Eric helped me get things ready and put the motor back in the car last night. The video is LARGE, but fairly entertaining.

Eric and I put the brakes back together, got the wheels on the car, roll it out of the garage, turn it around, roll it back in, then start cutting out the rear to mount the fuel cell.

I got the motor out of the car again yesterday, here's the video! First half is motor removal, second half is me and Eric working on removing the intake manifold, exhaust manifold and turbo.

I spent tonight removing 3 bolts off the turbo (of 4) and one intake manifold bold, as well as two heat shield bolts and the destruction of another heat shield bolt. This weekend the motor comes out again...

Dad and I spent today working on repairing the floorpan in the Project 240Z. It was a learning experience as I haven't really welded before, just a little practice here and there. After that we put the thermostat a backtogether.

Dad and I spent some time creating a new throttle linkage as the old one off the parts car wouldn't fit on this firewall. After that I had to put the front end together just to see it start to look like a car.

Russ helped me yesterday afternoon and last night with quite a few things on the car. We removed all of the brakes so I can get those turned. Then we started fabricating blockoff plates for the various vacuum and emission lines that will be removed from the car.

Saturday I spent a few hours fixing up the garage. I got the new toolbox together, and some other items organized.

I sanded the area that I bondo'd yesterday on the 240Z. I also then cleaned and sprayed it with primer. Now the Project 240Z officially consists of 6, count them 6, colors. Blue, orange, white, black, brown, and grey. After that I removed the gas tank so I can have that cleaned up like we had done with the radiator last week.

Here's the video of the motor removal. Watch carefully as the motor comes out, you'll see the car falls off the jackstands, actually making it easier to get the motor out. Thankfully I had the wheels still on the car.